Virginia E. Howard, Firm Member Horan Lloyd specializes in the representation of nonprofit organizations out of a sincere desire to serve the nonprofit sector and the community. Virginia represents nonprofits in Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Benito and Santa Clara counties in connection with nonprofit formation.
Virginia provides legal services dealing with nonprofit formation and the obtaining of tax-exempt status, including:
- Assists clients with exploring options and determining whether a for-profit or nonprofit structure is most suitable for achieving the client’s objectives
- Advises clients on costs and administrative burdens associated with forming and operating a nonprofit
- Advises clients on the corporate or other structure most suitable for their nonprofit operations
- Explains differences between nonprofit public benefit corporations, mutual benefit corporations, religious corporations and unincorporated associations
- Prepares organizational documents, including articles of incorporation, bylaws and organizational minutes and consent actions
- Prepares and submits for approval required applications for tax-exempt status to IRS and Franchise Tax Board
- Prepares and submits other required governmental filings with California Office of the Attorney General and Secretary of State
- Assists clients with mission statements and statements of purposes in organizational documents with view to providing maximum flexibility and avoiding unrelated business income tax
- Assists clients with obtaining public charity status so as to avoid more extensive regulations applicable to private foundations
A Commitment To Public Service And Personal Attention
My focus on helping nonprofit organizations is no accident. I gravitated toward this area of the law out of a sincere desire to serve the nonprofit sector and the community.
Personal attention is important to me, so I will handle your case personally. When you choose me to assist you and your nonprofit, you will find that I am easily accessible and ready to stand by your side until your legal matter is resolved.